Wednesday, September 23, 2009

COACHING FIRST… getting inside the game.


As a strength coach (1) It’s rare to suit up and (2) to be an “active” member of the coaching staff. Most coaches keep to the bike athletic shorts- obligatory polo and team issues nike turfs.

During the summer of 2008- I’d made the comment to Isotope manager- Dean Treanor, that our players coaching first- “had no clue” what they were doing there. He promptly suggested that if I could do better…have at it. This carried over to 2009 when I approached Zephyrs manager Edwin Rodriguez on the subject.

“I have a primary role that I can’t neglect”, I explained- but in game –I believe I can add value by assisting in coaching First base. A few short Q and A moments later- I again had the job for 2009.

The question is why?

I find that being a part of the coaching staff does two things- (a) it assists in connecting at another level with your players and coaching staff and (b) It’s the one field coaching position where athlete physiological assessment and monitoring can take place in real time.

The opportunity to get times on runners on the bases, to assess pitcher moves and player first step quickness on steals allows for functional speed mechanical corrections. Shooting over signs as to whether an opposing pitcher is at 1.4 + or – to the plate assists in affecting the strategy of the moment.

These observations translate well back into the gym- back into plyometric and speed development sessions, and certainly assist in connecting with a player at another level.

If you were a baseball player before you entered the world of strength and conditioning- seek the opportunities to integrate your skills as much as possible-it makes for greater impact in the weight room.

No comments:

Post a Comment